Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation is a branch of medicine emphasizing the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment for patients whose functional abilities have been temporarily or permanently impaired. Through education, research, consultation, and public service, the Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (PM&R) is committed to expanding and disseminating knowledge of acute and chronic musculoskeletal injuries, neuromuscular disorders, pain medicine, and traumatic insults to the brain and spinal cord, particularly as they relate uniquely to military service. We apply interdisciplinary, holistic, and patient-centered care to engage students, physicians, scientists, and allied health providers in healthcare delivery in order to restore health, independence, and quality of life. We also support the academic development and scholarly activities of rehabilitation professions throughout the military healthcare system.
State of the Science Symposium on “Multidisciplinary Management of Complex Peripheral Nerve Injuries” on September 28, 2022. It will be held all day starting at 0800 at the Memorial Auditorium, 3rd Floor, Building 2, WRNMMC.
DEPARTMENT OF PHYSICAL MEDICINE & REHABILITATION
WHAT IS A PHYSIATRIST?
Physiatrists are physicians specialized in restoring optimal function to people with injuries to the muscles, bones, tissues, and nervous system.
Physiatrists collaborate medical care with the rehab team and other specialties pertinent to an individual patient’s comprehensive care.
- Multidisciplinary medical management
- Pain medication management
- Interventional pain procedures
- Electrodiagnostic studies
- Musculoskeletal ultrasound
- Adaptive equipment prescription
- Wheelchair prescription
- Manipulative therapies
WHO IS PART OF THE REHAB TEAM?
- Physical medicine physician
- Physical therapist
- Occupational therapist
- Speech & language pathologists
- Social work services
- Prosthetist & Orthotist
- Psychiatry and pertinent surgical services (Orthopedics, Neurosurgery, etc.)
- Biomedical engineers
- Vocational rehab specialists
WHAT INJURIES DO WE TREAT?
- Sports Injuries and Musculoskeletal Disorders
- Acute and Chronic Pain
- Brain & Spinal Cord Injuries
- Other Neuromuscular Disorders
- Pediatric Disabilities
- Rehabilitation of Rheumatologic disorders
- Cardiopulmonary rehabilitation