Assistant Professor of Anesthesiology
What is an Assistant Professor?
Assistant professors of Anesthesiology are anesthesiologists (MD/DO) or PhD researchers who support the operational anesthesiology community through education, training, research, and scholarship. Candidates for Assistant Professor:
- Are involved in the direct or virtual support of USU medical students, uniformed anesthesiology residents and fellows, staff anesthesiologists, CRNAs, and colleagues. Educational activities may also include teaching anesthesiology knowledge and skills to military physician assistants, advanced practice nursing students, first responders such as corpsmen, medics, and firefighters, as well as support and mentorship to other non-anesthesia military graduate medical education programs.
- Have demonstrated potential for achievement and capacity for productivity in the different domains of Scholarship as described fully in USU Instruction 1100A and summarized below:
● Demonstrated achievement in the above Scholarship domains
● Anesthesiologists: MD/DO who is Board Eligible or Board Certified in Anesthesiology
● Researchers/Educators: PhD or terminal Masters Degree
● Department Chair approval
● Open to Active Duty and Civilian (Federal workers and contractors)
- Review the USU Online Appointment System document from Faculty Affairs
- Prepare your application documents (current templates are available in the Faculty Appointment link; outdated versions will not be accepted)
- CV in the AAMC format (here is an editable CV template created by our ANE faculty mentoring team, as well as an annotated version of the editable CV template), please include your ORCID ID under publications on CV. This is the link to get one: LINK
- USU Form 107 online (example)
- USUHS Faculty Form (example)
- Letter of Support/Chair’s Memo (example)
- Command Letter (if the command endorsement is not in the Letter of Support)
- For question regarding the Assistant Professor paperwork or process please email: email@example.com
The information on tenure eligibility is detailed in the USUHS Instruction 1100A. Below are some of the primary distinctions from the Instruction 1100A:
● Military faculty positions are tenure ineligible.
● Prefixed appointments are tenure ineligible.
● The tenure-eligible track is restricted to civilian faculty who commit full-time effort and responsibilities to the USU SOM programs, including assigned duties at the SOM affiliated institutions. Appointment to the tenure-eligible track is based on specific criteria and institutional needs and is open to scientists and clinicians.
- Continue to engage in your own research and education at your site
- Get involved in USU research and education opportunities
- Network with other faculty
- Participate in Faculty Development
- Use the ANE Department Newsletter to:
- Learn about Department needs and opportunities
- See what your peers and the Department are accomplishing
- Share your accomplishments (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Share opportunities for engagement and development (email@example.com)
- Prepare for academic promotion
Where can I learn more about faculty appointments and promotion in the Department of Anesthesiology?
● Review our Myths vs Facts
● Read about the pathways, prefixes, and promotion process
● Visit our main ANE Faculty and Associate Professor and Professor pages
● For general questions about the faculty appointments, or for question regarding appointment paperwork, process, or eligibility please email: ane-faculty-information-ggg@
● For questions regarding your personal promotion eligibility and plan, or to connect with a faculty coach, please email the ANE Faculty Mentoring Committee (ane-faculty-information-ggg@