Mark J Lenart
MD, MPH, FASA
Education2018 Certificate, Faculty Development in Teaching, USUHS, F. Edward Hebert School of Medicine
2010 - 2011 Fellowship, Regional Anesthesiology/Acute Pain and Obstetric Anesthesiology, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, TN
2007 - 2010 Residency in Anesthesiology, National Capital Consortium
2004 - 2007 Master Degree of Public Health, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI
2004 Naval Undersea Medicine Program, Naval Undersea Medical Institute
2002 – 2003 Transitional Internship, National Naval Medical Center, Bethesda, MD
1998 - 2002 Doctor of Medicine, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, MD
1987 - 1991 Bachelor of Science , United States Naval Academy, Annapolis, MD, Major: Control Systems Engineering
Representative publications, projects, and/or deployments
Branch Head, Surface Medicine, BUMED (M35), Falls Church, VA, - Aug 2019 - present
Officer-in-Charge, Fleet Surgical Team FOUR, Norfolk, VA, - Aug 2017 - Aug 2019
TYCOM Surgeon, Commander, Naval Surface Force Atlantic, Norfolk, VA, - Feb 2018 - Aug 2018
Chairman, Department of Anesthesiology, Perioperative and Pain Medicine, Naval Medical Center Portsmouth, Portsmouth, VA, - Feb 2014 - Aug 2017
Chief of Acute Pain Service, Kandahar Role 3 MMU, Kandahar, Afghanistan, - June 2012 - Jan 2013
Chief, Obstetric Anesthesiology, Naval Medical Center Portsmouth, VA, - Sept 2011 - Aug 2017
Fellow, Regional Anesthesiology/Acute Pain and Obstetric Anesthesiology - Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, TN, - August 2010 - August 2011
Member, American Society of Anesthesiologists (ASA), Committee on Uniformed Services and Veterans' Affairs - 2017 - present
Diving Medical Officer, Mine Countermeasures Squadron, Ingleside, TX, - July 2004 - July 2007
Assistant Professor of Naval Science, Texas A&M University, College Station, TX, - August 1996 - July 1998
1. Carness J, Lenart M. “Current Local Anesthetic Applications in Neuraxial Anesthesia”. In Local Anesthetics. 2019, Aug 7, IntechOpen.
2. Carness J, Lenart M. "Spinal Anaesthesia for Cesarean Section in a Patient with Vascular Type Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome". Case Reports in Anesthesiology. Vol. 2018, Article ID 1924725, 4 pages, 2018.
3. Carness J, Wilson M, Lenart M, Smith D, and Dukes S. “Experiences with Regional Anesthesia for Analgesia during Prolonged Aeromedical Evacuation”. Aerospace Medicine and Human Performance. August 2017; 88(8):768-772.
4. Lenart M, Carness J. “Cerebrospinal Fluid Cutaneous Fistula after Continuous Spinal Catheter in an Obstetric Patient”. Anesthesia and Analgesia Case Reports. 1 Sept 2016; 7(5):103-7.
5. Hudson A, Whittaker D, Szpisjak DF, Lenart MJ and Bailey MM. “Tumescent Technique for Endovenous Laser Therapy and Serum Lidocaine Concentration”. Journal of Vascular Surgery: Venous and Lymphatic Disorders, 2015-01-01, Volume 3, Issue 1, Pages 48-53.
6. Plunkett A, Kuehn D, Lenart M, Wilkerson I. “Opioid maintenance, weaning and detoxification techniques: where we have been, where we are now and what the future holds”. Pain Management. 2013; 3(4):1-8.
7. Lenart M, Wong K, Gupta R, Malchow R. “The Impact of Peripheral Nerve Techniques on Hospital Stay Following Major Orthopedic Surgery”. Pain Medicine 2012; 13:828-834.
8. Lenart M, Buckenmaier CC, Kim MJ, Plunkett AR. “Development of a Complicated Pain Syndrome Following Cyanide Poisoning in a U.S. Soldier”. Military Medicine, April 2010; 175(4): 292-294(3).
9. Watson WD, Verma A, Lenart M, Quast TM, Gauerke SJ, McKenna GJ. “MRI in acute Wernicke’s encephalopathy”. Neurology. 2003;61(4):527.
10. Thomas RJ, Lenart MJ. “Moving Toward Eradication of Syphilis”. Military Medicine, June 2002.